Roadtrip Map

The Phil Locator Map

The Car is my current location, the red pins are planned cities, and the green pins are visited cities. You can click on any of the green pins to read the journal entry for that city.

To view in Google Maps, click here.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Charleston, South Carolina

Sometimes in life, you just win. This is one of those times. Let me explain: Travelocity has this secret hotel finder that you can use to book a hotel without knowing the exact franchise or location. You only get a rough star rating and a general radius of the location. I’ve been using it the whole trip with hit or miss results. But I would be lying if I told you that this time, I didn’t feel like I cheated the system. For fifty somewhat dollars, I managed to get hooked up with a hotel right on the Ashley Riverfront. And after some sweet-talking a very friendly hotel manager, I was placed on the tenth floor with a view facing said river. This hotel even has one of those rotating restaurants on the top floor. Simply put, I was sad to see it go.

The Holiday Inn on the Ashley Riverfront
The view from my hotel room (disclaimer: does not do it justice)

Wednesday, Feb 2nd, was one of the first beautiful days I had encountered since the trip began. I was guided to the historic district by the hotel manager. It was a very nice looking place, but it was filled with old couples and really boring art galleries. I don't want to start a conversation on what art is and is not, let me just say this: bowls of fruit, landscapes with clouds, flowers - that's bullshit art. Maybe a hundred years ago or so these were some groundbreaking subjects, but painting begonias hasn't been art since Bob Ross painted the hell out of all of it, and then taught us how to do it therapeutically - so I don't quite understand how they could have a "gallery street" filled with these paintings. 

With that being said, after some wandering around, I found the college. They say that Charleston has the highest ratio of beautiful girls than any other city, with San Diego in second place. They are correct.

This would be me showing off how when ice gets above 32 degrees, it turns into a liquid state called water. It doesn't seem to ever do that in New Jersey, so I thought I would show you guys how nice it can be. Maybe someday.


The next night the rains came, so I went out to the bars. I met a girl named Sara who lived in Charleston and had more than an earful of all the different spots I should check out. And what can I say, the girl had good taste. She took me around to some grungy, cheap, and hip bars. Eventually we met a kid named Pete, and than his wife Rachel. He was a traveling nurse, and I don't remember what she did, but she liked tequila. Me too. They told us about this little bar called the Upper Deck Tavern. So we went there. Very cool place if you like cozy little punk bars - cool crowd of people, and they weren't too judgy as east coast punk bars tend to be. There was quite a spectrum of people in that bar, and everyone had a good time - except one random dude who was getting thrown out as we walked in. 

The next day came with the rain, so it was time to move on. Charleston was definitely a fun spot. Apparently they also have some industry - Boeing and Bosh to name a few Bs. So, I wouldn't rule it out as a place to live.  



No comments:

Post a Comment